We will hold in-person commencement ceremonies for our summer and fall graduates in Thompson-Boling Arena in December. Congratulations graduates!
- The fall graduate hooding ceremony will take place at 4:30 p.m. on December 9, and the undergraduate commencement ceremony will be on December 10 at 9 a.m. Both ceremonies will be held in Thompson-Boling Arena.
- The university does not host a summer commencement ceremony. Summer graduates typically have the option to attend spring or fall ceremonies.
- The “Official Graduation Date” refers to the date printed on one’s diploma, not necessarily the date of commencement.
- The location and times for the spring 2022 commencement ceremonies have not been determined at this time. Colleges will contact their graduates once details have been finalized.
About the Fall 2021 Ceremonies
- Ceremonies last approximately 2 hours.
- Undergraduates from all colleges participate in one ceremony.
- Students cross an ADA-compliant ramp as their name is called.
- Doctoral and professional students will be hooded during the graduate hooding ceremony.
- Students pause on the ramp for a formal photo.
- There are currently no plans to require tickets for guest entry. Graduates will be contacted if anything changes.
- If you earned your undergraduate degree in a previous term and are wishing to participate in the fall ceremony, you must contact the Office of the University Registrar to request permission and provide justification. If you are a graduate student, please contact the Graduate School to request permission and provide justification.
We want to see your celebrations! Use #UTGrad2021 to share your decorated mortar boards, graduation photos, or family celebrations.
Directions to campus and ceremonies, parking details, and exiting procedures.
Large-event security protocol was enforced, including the clear bag policy.
Health and Safety
We want to ensure that we have a healthy and safe commencement.
All ceremonies are webcast.