We will hold in-person commencement ceremonies for our fall graduates in Thompson-Boling Arena in December. Congratulations graduates!
- The fall commencement ceremonies will take place December 15 in Thompson-Boling Arena.
- All undergraduates, regardless of their college, will participate in one ceremony at 9 a.m.
- The graduate hooding ceremony will begin at 3 p.m. Eastern.
- Beginning in mid-September, eligible graduates will receive an email with details and registration instructions on a rolling basis once they have applied to graduate.
- The university does not host a summer commencement ceremony. Undergraduates who complete their degree requirements in the summer typically have the option to attend spring or fall ceremonies. Students completing requirements for the PhD in the summer must participate in the fall ceremony.
- The “Official Graduation Date” refers to the date printed on one’s diploma, not necessarily the date of commencement.
- Haslam College of Business hosts a separate graduate hooding ceremony for their students. However, all HCB students are also welcome and invited to attend the university’s graduate hooding ceremony. HCB will provide additional information to their graduate students related to their ceremony.
About the Fall 2023 Ceremonies
- Ceremonies last approximately 2 and a half hours. Graduates are required to stay for the duration of the ceremony.
- Professional photos will be taken by Big Orange Professional Photography (BOPP) during the ceremony.
- Students cross an ADA-compliant ramp as their name is called.
- Doctoral and professional students will be hooded during the graduate hooding ceremony.
- There are currently no plans to require tickets for guest entry. Graduates will be contacted if anything changes.
About the Spring 2024 Ceremonies
- Spring 2024 ceremonies will take place the weekend of May 16-19 at Thompson-Boling Arena. The schedule is now available.
We want to see your celebrations! Use #UTGrad2023 to share your decorated mortar boards, graduation photos, or family celebrations.
Directions to campus and ceremonies, parking details, and exiting procedures.
Large-event security protocol is enforced, including the clear bag policy.
For questions about degree requirements and diplomas, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about commencement registration and ceremony details, contact email@example.com.
Graduate students may contact the Graduate School as well.